JANUARY
16-17-18
   
The origins of Novoli are lost in time. After the excavations made in Cardamone between 1872 and 1875, a series of findings attested the human presence on site since the Bronze Age. Among them, rejects, graffiti, fern and the fragments of a menhir known as “Pietragrossa”. The village, according to the famous scholar Girolamo Marciano from Leverano, was built around three very ancient pre-existent churches by the inhabitants of the rural area of Porziano (on the way to Veglie near the ancient little church of St Nicola) who gave the village the name of Santa Maria Nova. In the Sixteenth Century the village was called Novole and in the Eighteenth century it became Novoli. With most of the surrounding territory, in 1546 the village became a feud of the Mattei's, counts of Palmariggi. Paolo Mattei, baron of St Maria de Novis, bought half of the feud (the rest was bought in the second half of the Sixteenth century) and built the Baronial Palace in order to settle in the hamlet. In 1551 his son Filippo I built the monastery of St Maria Delle Grazie, left to the Dominicans, and the annexed Church of Saint Onofrio that became the family tomb. The family's most famous member is certainly Alessandro II who surrounded himself with a circle of scholars. In 1700 the youngest Alessandro III built the fountain that can still be admired on the terrace of the Baronial Palace. Many churches were constructed in Novoli between the Sixteenth and the Seventeenth centuries and numerous others were renovated. The Church of St Andrea Apostolo was built in the Sixteenth century to replace the Old Church (the actual Church of the Immaculate) that was the ancient Parish Church. Between 1570 and 1578 Filippo II Mattei built the Church of St Salvatore (the actual St Oronzo) while the origins of St Antonio Abate and Madonna Del Pane trace back to the beginning of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuries respectively. In 1712 the Carignani's succeeded the Mattei's until feudal rights were abolished in 1806.The town Theatre was designed in 1885 and opened in 1888. The Monastery of the Passionate Fathers was constructed between 1887 and 1894. Last but not least, the remarkable Baronian Palace dates back to the Sixteenth century, but it underwent several restoration works during the lordship of the Scanderberg's and their progeny.



Salento d'Amare
   
 



  > Sant'Antonio Abate
  > La Festa
   
  Photogallery

Photogallery

   
  Info
THE CITY
Tel. 0832/711371
www.comune.novoli.le.it

FONDAZIONE FOCARA - TOURIST OFFICE
Tel. 0832 712695
cultura@comune.novoli.le.it - info@fondazionefocara.it
www.fondazionefocara.com

PARROCCHIA SANT'ANTONIO ABATE - PARROCCHIA MARIA SS. DEL PANE
www.parrocchiepatroninovoli.org

PRO LOCO - IAT - TOURIST OFFICE
Via Roma 14/a
Tel. 328.1694538
info@proloconovoli.it

TOWN POLICE
Tel: 0832 712719