NOVEMBER
8-9-10-11
   
In 1927 Adelfia became a unified town, thanks to a royal decree that reunited the districts of Canneto and Montrone. It is important to give a historical outline about the origins of the single districts. Canneto comes from the Latin Cannetum, name that refers to the thick beds of reeds present in this area in ancient times. The settlement dates back to the end of the XI century, when the Normans besieged Bari to drive back the Greek troops. There occurred several transfers of property up to the first 800s, when a Napoleonic decree defined the end of the feudal system. Instead, come Greek migrants settled in a village on a light slope, today known with the name of Montrone. The etymology of the name can be traced back to a compound (montarione) of “Monte”, joined to the accentual suffix “one”. As for the most characteristic places of the first, we can suggest: the parish of the Immaculate, of the XVIII century, the house of Father Cataldo or of Monsignor. As for the commune of Montrone, we can number the parish tracing back to the XVIII century containing a painting of Saint Francis of Paola, attributed to the school of Titian, having a remarkable value; the marquis' castle tracing back to the end of the XIV century; the Norman tower built by order of Alfonso Balbiano; the chapel of the Holy Mary of the Star, of the second half of the XII century and the church of Saint Mary of the Principle of the XI century.
   
 



  > San Trifone
  > La Festa
   
  Photogallery

Photogallery

   
  Info
THE CITY
Tel. 080/4598111
Via V. Veneto, 122
www.comune.adelfia.gov.it

PRO LOCO - TOURIST OFFICE
Via V. Veneto, 201
349.2921572
prolocoadelfia@libero.it

TOWN POLICE
Tel. 080/4596895

COMITATO FESTE SAN TRIFONE DI ADELFIA
www.adelfiacomitatosantrifone.it
info@adelfiacomitatosantrifone.it